What Kills Mold Mites Instantly?

Mold mites are not as easy to detect as mold itself. As the name suggests, mold mites are found in areas where there is a lot of mold growth. Most of the time, these tiny bugs go undetected because of their size and color. They’re barely visible to the naked eye. You can see them using a microscope or high camera zoom.

If there’s mold in your house that is old and abundant, get your house inspected for mold mites infestation. Contact mold removal services or pest control services to protect your house from these bugs.

What Kills Mold Mites Instantly

What Are Mold Mites?

What Are Mold Mites

These tiny bugs are a species of Tyrophagus Putrescentiae mites. They got their name for their attraction to mold. You will only find them where there’s mold in the house. They grow rapidly. Their main source of food is mold so killing the mold will also kill the mold mites.

These mites are harmless because they neither bite nor do they spread diseases. However, the source that attracted them to your home is very harmful. Thus, mold mites are not a cause of any issue, but rather a symptom.

Are Mold Mites Harmful?

Alone, mold mites are not harmful. They do not carry any disease and don’t bite either. However, their body hair can disperse in the air. Though they do not contaminate anything, they’re still unpleasant and can irritate the nasal passages.

The presence of mold mites points to other harmful substances in the house. The fungus that they feed on, can cause severe allergies, skin infections, and respiratory problems.

How to Get Rid of Mold Mites?

Killing mold mites is not easy if their food source is still present. They’re resistant to pest control sprays. Even if you kill them once, if the mold is still there, the mites will come back. So, to get rid of mold mites, you need to get rid of the mold first. Without their food source, the mites will die automatically.

You use a store-bought mold killer or you can make one using household products. Vinegar, borax, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide are at the top of the list. To use them correctly, follow the instructions given below:

How to Get Rid of Mold MitesKilling Mold Mites Using Vinegar

Vinegar is good for killing mold. You can easily find it in your kitchen and use it without damaging the affected area. When using vinegar for antifungal purposes, you need to dilute it. Mix equal quantities of vinegar and water.

Pour this solution into a spray bottle and generously spray on the areas that have mold on them. Let it dry and clean the area with a disposable sponge or cloth. You’re now free of mold mites.

Using Lemon to Kill Mold Mites

Lemon is an excellent solution for mold-related problems. It is acidic and has antibacterial properties. You can mix lemon juice with vinegar and water to get rid of mold mites. Pour the solution into a bottle and spray it onto the moldy surface. The lemon solution will kill mold as well as mold mites.

By Using Baking Soda

You can use baking soda if you don’t want to buy any products for killing mold mites.

It not only kills mold but also removes the damp odor from the affected areas. You can mix baking soda with vinegar and water. Do not dilute it though. Make sure it has the consistency of a paste. Apply this solution where you see visible mold. It will kill mold and the mites that are feeding on it.

By Using Borax

If the mold growth is severe, you can use borax. Boil borax in water and apply this solution to the mold-affected areas. Borax will kill the mold mites and prevent spores from reproducing. This way, the mold will also die. After the borax solution has dried completely, you can use a sponge or a disinfectant sponge to wipe off any residue.

By Using Bleach

Bleach is a good home remedy for killing all types of fungus. It will also remove tough mold stains. However, if you use undiluted bleach, it can fade the colors and damage the surface. Always mix one part bleach with ten parts water. Apply this solution and let it dry out. Clean the
surface. You will see that mold stains, along with mold mites are gone.

How to Prevent Mold Mites?

The only way to prevent mold mites is to prevent mold from growing in the first place. If you see any visible signs of mold, use one of the above-mentioned solutions to kill it before it attracts mold mites. If you prevent mold, you will automatically prevent mold mites. Several signs appear before visible mold growth. Look out for these signs so that you don’t have to deal with mold mites at all.

Visible Mold

If there’s visible mold in any part of the house, it’s a sign of mold mites. You need to get rid of it to prevent mites. If you take quick action, you will be able to avoid the mites too. However, if the growth of mold is significant and old, you already have a mite infestation that you cannot see with the naked eye.

Damp Spots

Any damp spots on the walls, ceiling, furniture, or floors indicate that there’s moisture buildup. This excess moisture will lead to mold growth. Locate and fix the source of water leaks to prevent mold.


Discoloration due to water damage indicates that mold will start to grow in these spots. Fix all causes of water damage to prevent mold.

Bad Odor

A bad odor is a sign of dampness in the house. Run a dehumidifier in the house to remove excess humidity. Lack of moisture will prevent mold and mites.

When to Call 24/7 Service Pros?

At first sight or sign of mold in the house, call 24/7 Service Pros. If you want to see the mold mites, you might have to wait forever because they’re microscopic.

Dealing with mold poses great health risks. Do not attempt to remove it by yourself. Mold mites are always present in places where there is mold. Our mold experts have the required equipment to identify mold mites and the right ingredients to kill and prevent mold.

Which Areas We Serve in South Florida?

Scroll to Top