Signs of Mold Poisoning

Mold poisoning is also called mold toxicity. No matter what you call it, this is a serious health issue that is caused by long-term exposure to mold. It not only affects your health, but also damages your property. While objects can be replaced, irreversible damage to your health cannot be reversed after mold poisoning. Consult your health care provider immediately if you have been living with mold.

Mold poisoning is caused by a type of fungus that grows in places with excess moisture and poor ventilation. If you don’t find visible mold anywhere in the house, but you’re constantly getting sick, it’s a sign of mold poisoning. Mold in hidden spaces like roofs, pipes, and under wood and tile floors and ceilings is often the hidden cause of your illness.

Signs of Mold Poisoning

Symptoms Of Mold Poisoning or Toxicity

Symptoms Of Mold Poisoning or Toxicity
Mold Poisoning occurs when you have been exposed to mold for a long time. Before serious illness, you will feel frequent allergic reactions. Inhaling mold spores and ingesting any traces of mold can cause serious illness that requires proper treatment. Pay attention to the initial signs of mold allergy to avoid complex and irreversible health damage. Allergies or allergic responses to mold are the following:
  • Sneezing
  • Throat Irritation
  • Runny Nose
  • Congestion
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Itchy and Watery Eyes
  • Itching and Skin Irritation

These symptoms occur before more severe illnesses. Get in touch with mold inspection companies and get rid of mold.

Serious Illnesses from Mold Poisoning

If you find yourself experiencing mold-related health issues, seek immediate help. Serious mold poisoning can lead to the following problems:

Respiratory Illness

There are many breathing and respiratory issues having nexus with mold, the most common ones causing problems for individuals are asthma, sinus congestion, sneezing, coughing, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. It can aggravate individuals already having sinus, lung, or bronchitis issues. People with weak immunity are more affected by mold.

Paresthesia due to Mold Toxicity

Paresthesia is a condition that causes a feeling of numbness, prickling, crawling, or tingling in any part of the body. It’s also known as the pins and needles sensation. This usually happens in the hands and feet, but can also occur in the legs and arms. Paresthesia is the body’s response to damage to the nervous system. Mold can affect the nervous system when you’re exposed to mold toxicity for a long period.

Anxiety, Depression, and Sadness

Psychological and mental health issues are often serious illnesses caused by mold toxicity or mold poisoning. Over a long period of mold illness, the nervous system can start malfunctioning. This can lead to depression, anxiety, and general sadness. If you live in an environment where mold is abundant, seek medical and psychiatric health immediately.

Stomach Illness

A mold illness can cause severe stomach disorders. You may also experience a loss of appetite, weight loss, and poor food absorption. Other stomach-related issues such as nausea, diarrhea, acidity, bloating, and vomiting are also common with mold poisoning.

Fever and Flu

Mold spores can cause symptoms of hay fever. You will experience watery, itchy eyes and blurry vision. Raised core temperature and inflammation in the body will also occur. As more mold spores enter the body and cause systemic inflammation, eyes can become inflamed and dry. When mold particles are inhaled, sinuses can become inflamed and infected, which can increase sinus infections.

Muscle Pain

Fatigue and muscle pain are also caused by mold toxicity. You will feel a lack of energy no matter how much rest or sleep you take. Pain in the shoulder muscles is the most common issue. However, any other muscle in the body is equally at risk. Light exertion can make you dizzy and breathless. This is because inflammation of the muscles blocks oxygen which results in aching muscles.

People at High Risk of Mold Poisoning

Children and elderly people are at a higher risk of mold poisoning and toxicity. Adults with low immunity can also catch mold illness easily. When the immune system is compromised, it cannot fight the toxins that enter your bloodstream. In this case, you will end up with more allergic reactions than people with a healthy immune system. Additionally, people with a sensitive respiratory system are also at great risk of mold poisoning.

How to Combat Mold Poisoning?

Unfortunately, if you have been exposed to mold for too long, you cannot treat yourself at home. You will need a medical professional who has experience treating people with mold toxicity.
However, there are still some preventive measures that you can take to avoid mold poisoning. It’s very important to get rid of mold in the first place if you want to avoid these issues. But more importantly, prevent mold from growing in your house.

How to Prevent Mold?

Controlling Humidity Levels
Keep a moisture meter in the house. Measure moisture levels regularly if you get a higher humidity reading you need to locate the source of excess moisture in the air. Excess moisture can also be caused due to highly humid climates. Water leaks can add to the moisture and cause mold in your house.

Fix Water Leaks

Water leakage can be a big problem for your house. Apart from causing structural damage, it can cause mold in hidden spaces. Walls, floors, crawl spaces, ceilings, and basements can fall victim to excess moisture accumulation. As a result, mold will grow in tough places to deal with. These unidentified spaces with mold growth become a major factor for unsuspected mold poisoning a

How to Prevent Mold?

nd toxicity. Flooding can also cause mold.

Ventilate the Damp Areas

Open all windows of areas that are usually damp, the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry are often moist and damp this moisture can seep into the walls and floor beds. Allow the excess moisture to evaporate and let some fresh air come in. Poorly ventilated areas can cause mold growth behind shower tiles, in the drywall, and the cabinets. Run a dehumidifier if you have one.

When to call 24/7 Service Pros?

If you are experiencing health issues related to mold you need to see a doctor. Additionally, you need to get rid of the cause of your illness, which is mold. 24/7 Service Pros can identify the mold that is not visible. The teams of experts are trained professionally to locate mold and its causes. To cure yourself of mold poisoning you need to ensure that your house is mold-proof, otherwise, your symptoms will reoccur.

Which Areas We Serve in South Florida?

Scroll to Top